Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Well, seeing as this is my first post, I should explain why I decided to blog and the general purpose of this blog. This blog will be a supplement to my website: www.wilkdesigns.com. As I cannot post long explanations about this and that on my website, I thought this would be a good forum for that. The reason for explanations is that I would like to document the everyday workings of my business, Wilk Jewellery Designs. I hope to post ideas about my work and the path my work is taking and give you insight into how some of my work is created and the different services that I offer. Anyways, I hope to keep this fairly up-to-date, but I know thats probably not going to happen, so if I've neglected this blog, please email me and tell me to wisen up! Anyways, please feel free to post your thoughts and suggestions for/about my work. I look forward to hearing from you.

Anyways, onto the explanations. I guess I should explain a little about me first. I'm a jewellery designer. I guess I never really thought all those eons ago that I would ever be a jewellery designer, but I like it. I originally got into the arts in high school, more as recreation than anything, but because I did poorly in some of my classes I didn't get into the university courses that I originally applied for(sciences, etc...) So I repeated some classes to upgrade my marks, got into the programs I originally applied for and then decided to go to art school instead. I went to the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design(www.nscad.ca) and studied jewellery making and printmaking. And so I did my four years and emerged with a piece of paper that said I had acquired a Bachelor of Fine Arts. Yay. During that whole education process, I also got engaged to my now wonderful wife. So she moved to Nova Scotia for school and I got stuck at a crappy job(www.convergys.com), but thats okay because it did show me that I never want to work in the corporate world ever again. Then she finished her Masters degree and we moved back to Ontario, moved around Ontario for the next year or so and finally settled in Toronto. And so my business began.

I've been running my business for about a year now and all seems to be going well. I really enjoy being my own boss, though a strong work ethic is required, and I falter sometimes. But never the less I continue and enjoy my work. Also I have been taking a gemmology course through the Canadian Gemmological Association(www.canadiangemmological.com) and just finished my first year and found out today that I passed my exam! Yay! Onto year two...

So thats enough about me and my history, onto the jewellery. The work I create tends to be made from sterling silver, though I do work in gold, platinum and other metals. I also try to incorporate some gemstones into my work but not with every piece that I make. The work generally tends to be simple and clean as my tastes usually correspond to that kind of aesthetic. I really don't like items or art which are extremely busy and so my jewellery shows my tastes. I also am fascinated by moving gadgetry and so I attempt to bring this interest in the work upon occasion(which has led to my recent obsession with watches and watch repair). The other part of my job I really enjoy are the custom jobs. Those jobs where I can work closely with a client to make a piece that reflects both their and my interpretation of their personality and visual interests. Of course I try and put a little bit of myself in there too.

Well, I think thats quite enough for one post. In the coming posts I will keep you up to date with my business happenings, new work, new galleries carrying my work and shows which I am going to participate in. Stay tuned! Thanks for reading!

No comments: