Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Spring One of a Kind show a cometh...

S12_logo_rgb_kit

The Spring One of a Kind show is just around the corner, so I thought I'd write a little post about it and the types of watches I'm preparing for the show.

The show is at the Direct Energy Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada starting on March 28, 2012 and running through April 1, 2012. Please check the OOAK website for all the details regarding directions and show times. If you wanted to get discounted tickets, you can order them online and use the code in the image below to save some money.

Ada7mv
So as for the work I'm going to be showing, I'm making many new watch designs just for the show. I had many requests at the Christmas One of a Kind and I'm trying to fulfill as many of them as possible. Here's a summary of what new items I'll be showing:

- There were many requests for skeletonized watches and so I'm trying to have three different watches with 3 different skeletonized movements with 3 different dials. The designs I have come up with are quite different from each other, so I hope there's something for everyone while still staying within design aesthetic that I enjoy. Here's a a 3D computer image teaser of one of the dials:

Skeletonteaser
- I'll also have many more PVD(black coated) watch cases in different sizes than at the Xmas OOAK show.

- I'm making more watches with my friend and collaborator Hugh. The other two watches I made with him, grabbed the attention of quite a few people, so look for something new there as well.

- Lastly, it wasn't a requested item but something I was researching before the Xmas OOAK show, a new metal for my dials called niobium. Niobium is a metallic element, number 41 on the periodic table and has one property which I find to be wonderful. Run electricity through it and it turns all sorts of crazy colours. Like this:

Niobium_colours
Unfortunately, niobium is not the easiest metal to work with, but I've been working with a gentleman who has some very specialized machinery(aka an insane laser beam that cuts through metal machine) to help me create my designs in this wonderful medium. I don't have an example to show you yet, but should have something on the blog before the show.

I also don't know why I enjoy packaging materials so much, but I do, and it drove me to get new bags made for my watches. So if you purchase one of my pieces, you'll get to carry it away in one of these bad boys:

Shoppingbag

So there has been lots of things happening in my workshop to prepare for the coming show and I'm very excited about all the possibilites that these new processes are opening. I'll be posting more to the blog as the show approaches, so stay tuned!

Oh, and of course I would be remiss without mentioning my little guy who may make some things not happen, so if there are a couple watches that don't make it to the show, you can blame it on this guy:

Amw1

No comments: